October 2012 – SO magazine.
SO Magazine is a lifestyle magazine and has issues in Surrey, Essex, Brighton and Tunbridge Wells. I researched ideas for their ‘In The Archive’ feature, wrote three, 600 word articles for the magazine, the first of which was published in their December 2012 edition and I also researched and wrote their DPS for their Valentine’s edition.
June – September 2012 GolfPunk magazine – Intern/Editorial Assistant
I had a summer placement working at the relaunch of ‘GolfPunk’ Magazine, an digital magazine on a brand-new platform. I was involved in the social media by setting up the accounts. I contributed to the website and updating daily news, and also helped with the general running of the office.
April 2010 – December 2012- BellaOnline.com/quotations – Quotations editor and Training mentor
I have been the quotations editor of BellaOnline for over two years now. I have to write weekly articles, send out newsletters and contribute to the forums of my site. I reply to emails sent to me and am able to stick to deadlines. I try to make it interesting by writing about different quotes and making my articles diverse. I had to go through a training stage where my articles were monitored before I became a full editor. My site has shown I currently have 410 new subscribers since I became editor. I have recently become a training mentor, helping other writers who join the site keep up to date with articles.
- Skintnation.com – I have written articles for this online website aimed at students which was advertised at my university. I wrote for the money, university and fashion subject areas and my articles are promoted on twitter.
- SCAN University newspaper: I wrote articles for my university newspaper during my time studying. I wrote for the features and lifestyle sections.
- Whistleblower newspaper: This newspaper was set up in my final year and was independently ran by students. It gave us more responsibility as I wrote weekly articles on fashion in different countries and was able to direct the photoshoot.
- GZ on it! college magazine: Our Grizedale college magazine was set up by students and I became a contributor in my first year of university, writing reviews and several articles on freshers advice.
- smileonline.com magazine: I contributed articles to smileonline.com
- Lindfield Life magazine: This is a magazine near my local area. I contacted the editor and met up with her. She gave me a few assignments to do, which enabled me to interview local people and businesses and writing double page spreads for the magazine.
March 2012 – Bliss Magazine
As part of work experience I helped contribute towards online content by updating web features including ‘gossip’ and ‘music’, quizzes and polls. I researched for print content, transcribed interviews and wrote book reviews for the print issue.
August 2011 – Heart of Sussex Magazine Features Writer.
I began writing for an upcoming Sussex Lifestyle magazine where I got my first job as a paid journalist. This involved being given article ideas and having to research, interview and produce articles, as well as pictures suitable for the magazine and target audience. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the editor and publisher of this new magazine decided to abandon it after just one month.
July 2011 – The Times and Times2
I worked on the Times2 desk researching stories, writing features, attending daily meetings and proof-reading articles. I managed to get one article published on ‘dental flossing’ on July 6th 2011.
June 2010 – ETC. Magazine
I worked on the features desk, interviewing and writing articles for the magazines. I was able to get my first published pieces in the September 2010 issue of this magazine, where three of my articles were published. These involved a lot of hard work of arranging interviews and collecting information. I also researched for future articles.
June 2006 – Dance Today! Magazine
I assisted the editor in the office, learning about designing pages and sorting through pictures for the magazine. I contributed to the website by writing an article on the top 10 dance websites.